Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Cambodia Update #4

Soh-suh-dhi! (my attempt at a phonetic spelling of the Khmer word “hello”),

If this letter looks too long to read, feel free to skip to the bulleted prayer points at the end.

We’ve been in Cambodia for over one week now and, well, there’s a lot to say but I’ll try to keep this note from becoming tediously long and tell you the things that strike me as most significant. I’m glad to be here & I know the Lord has me here, but that doesn’t make it easy. Of course, I didn’t expect it to be, but I also didn’t really know exactly what to expect. I’ve been exposed to cross-cultural experiences before, but this has been unlike anything else I’ve experienced so far. Most of our team has been going through pretty significant culture stress, though it is getting better (which is a good thing since I’m now out of peanut M&Ms – my comfort food). The people are friendly, which helps a lot. It’s just the cumulative effect of all that we’ve been bombarded with that is so unlike what we’re used to – I can’t really explain what it’s like, so I’ll just ask for continued prayer & leave it at that.

Okay, now for some more positive stuff. One of the things I was most apprehensive about regarding the plans for our time in Cambodia was the two weeks of teaching at Logos International School. I love kids and really enjoy working with them, but I’m used to one-on-one or maybe a few at a time. I was a little intimidated about managing a whole classroom. Well, we’ve finished week one – it seems to be going well and I’m enjoying it more each day. I have 5th & 6th graders for most of the morning and then a 45-minute session of craft activities with 7th & 8th graders. My 5th grade girls are especially sweet. It’s great when you really have to depend on God because then you have to give Him all the credit – pray that I continue to depend on Him! I got to help with the Daughters ministry to women who have been victims of trafficking, but so far have had only limited opportunity for building relationships there. The first week we were here they were really busy getting ready for an art exhibition featuring art the women had done, as well as products they had made to sell. Still I was really encouraged with how the event turned out and was grateful to have been able to contribute to something which I hope will result in increased revenue for the ministry. At the event they posted statements from a few of the women at Daughters. This is what one of them said:

“The trafficker offered to get me a job making cakes, and I agreed. But it was a lie – she took me to a brothel and sold me to the brothel owner. I didn’t realize it was a brothel until they locked me in a room. I was kept there for 4 days whilst they threatened me that I would never be allowed out and was given know no food. All I wanted was to return home, so I eventually agreed.

Working in that brothel I felt it was hell and would never get out. I thought I would die there and never return home. It was beyond my belief that I had become a sex worker. I felt so helpless, so worthless, without value. I stayed locked in that brothel for one year.

My feelings and my life are so different now. The difference is like the difference between earth and heaven…. I love my job now. I love the educational workshops they give at Daughters; they give me ‘penh jut’ – a full heart, and hope.”

One other ministry we’re working with is a school which helps Vietnamese children in Cambodia who have no legal status and would otherwise not receive an education. We are teaching English Tuesday & Thursday nights and the students are great.

Well, this is on the verge of “tediously long” (or maybe it’s crossed over) so I’d better wrap up. Thanks so much for continuing to pray for us.

  • Praise God for safety & generally good health for our team – a few issues, but most of them are resolving. Pray for continued health & safety.
  • Praise God for helping us through the initial stress & continue to pray for our adjustment and ability to connect with the people here.
  • Praise God for helping us in ministry & pray for our continued dependence on Him.
  • Pray for the ministries with which we are involved so far (Logos – one more week, Daughters, Vietnamese school); also please pray for God to continue to open up the opportunities to be where He wants us to be.

Grace & peace,

Lisa

1 comment:

Lacie said...

Love you dear sister and praying for you each morning.
Lace