Monday, June 1, 2009

Cambodia Update #2 (pre-field)

Okay, I'll try to keep this one brief, especially since a number of you probably just got an update from Beth. I've decided I'm going to post each of these updates on my blog as well. That way if people have just joined the list they can see the updates they missed without my having to remember who did or didn't get one. Hopefully I've gotten everyone on who wants to be on and, once again, if you don't want to get the updates feel free to let me know - I won't be offended at all!

Well, we're in the final countdown now - we leave this Saturday!! I'm still trying to pull together all that I need to take and wrap up all the details I need to take care of before I leave (such as turning in my lease which I was supposed to do two days ago & just did today - whoops). I'm so excited about going, but there's still lots to do & not a lot of time to do it. I think I pretty much have all the "stuff" I need for me, but I'm still working on what I'm going to be teaching & trying to figure out what supplies I'm going to need for that. I'm going to have to make at least one more Wal-mart run and maybe another trip to Michaels for my craft projects. I was told that I would be teaching computers, science and arts & crafts to 7th & 8th graders, but when I e-mailed for some clarification the plan had changed & I will now be teaching a devotional, science, & arts & crafts to 5th & 6th graders for the most part, with one crafts session for 8th graders. Flexibility is an essential in missions, and fortunately, by temperament & by upbringing, that happens to be one of my strengths. I actually feel a little more comfortable about this age group anyway, so I'm just going with the flow and adjusting the material I've been preparing. Beth is going to be doing art instruction on different techniques used by some of the great artists. She was a step ahead of me already having put this curriculum together for a previous class.

So, here's how you can pray for us:
  • Pray for our safe travel (we fly out of Dallas at 10:30 pm Saturday & arrive in Phnom Penh at 11:35 am on June 8th (they are 12 hours ahead of us).
  • Pray for us to get over jetlag quickly - we begin language & culture learning right away & our teaching assignment starts the week after we arrive.
  • Pray for good relationships to develop with our mentor and the other team members with whom we will be working. We've spoken a couple of times with our mentor by phone, otherwise all contact has been through e-mail and we've not met any of the other teammates. Team unity is so critical in ministry, so I really ask for your prayers for this especially.
  • Pray that we will abide in Christ and be sensitive to the Holy Spirit's leading right from the start. Even in these few days before we leave please pray that we keep our focus on Him and not get overly anxious about the preparations.
Thanks again, so very much for being a part of this through prayer. I am so looking forward to being able to share what God will do through this partnership!


Grace & peace,
Lisa

No comments: