Monday, May 28, 2012

What's the big deal?

This week I passed along an article on Facebook that a friend of mine had posted. It was entitled, "Voluntourism: 'A Misguided Industry.'" (Click here to read the article) I did wince just a bit, because I know I have friends who have done this with a genuine desire to make a positive difference and I don't want anyone to feel that I am pointing an accusing finger. I have also been involved in similar activities in the past. I have experienced some recent revelations, though, that have caused me to re-think what is really in the best interest of children and I want to encourage others to give it some thought as well.

A page on the Friends-International website describes the situation really well:
Myths and Realities about orphanages in Cambodia 

Let me sum up a little of why I feel like this is such a big deal:

1. I want people to realize there are alternatives. It really is more cost-effective as well as generally much healthier for the children and families involved to help families access the resources they need to stay together. These programs are being developed, but if the bulk of the resources continue be poured into orphanages they will continue to draw children out of families who want to care for them but feel that they are unable to do so.

2. People have many misconceptions. I know that a lot of my misconceptions are being blown away as I learn from the people around me. We may think that if families "abandoned" their children in the first place then to reunite them only puts the children at risk. We don't take into account the lack of support systems available to these families. I'm getting to see that just getting what they need to make it through a crisis can sometimes be all it takes to keep a family together.

3. Children need love and stability. The best orphanages are those which operate as a placement of last resort and who make attempt to reunite families or refer them to alternative services whenever possible. The Ministry of Social Affairs, Veterans and Youth Rehabilitation in Cambodia issued this statement: "The principle that institutional care should be a last resort and a temporary solution has not been fully engrained in the general mindset in Cambodia, where the number of institutions and children living in residential care continues to rise each year. The increasing trend of opening and placing children in residential care facilities is of great concern. International research demonstrates that institutionalization of children impacts negatively on social, physical, intellectual and emotional child development and that non-institutional care is recognized as providing children with a range of benefits compared to other forms of residential care. Moreover, institutionalization of vulnerable children when family and community-based options have not been explored, does not comply with the Royal Government of Cambodia 2006 Policy on Alternative Care for Children." (From With the Best Intentions - A Study of Attitudes Toward Residential Care in Cambodia 2011)

I am not a Pollyanna (okay, maybe sometimes I am a little bit), but I can see that community based care works because it is what CIF does!! Where we have had the opportunity to be involved, kinship care and foster care have been working well!! I'm longing for those with the resources available to effect change to see how much better we can do for these valuable images of God. How? Start with the recommendations listed by the Friends-International page and, if you are currently supporting an orphanage, ask them about their policies to see if they are serving the best interests of children in their care. If you would like to start helping children in need, please look for organizations which value community-based options.


No comments: