Sunday, July 22, 2012

Bridge or Barrier

The Kizuna Bridge which spans the Mekong River in Cambodia
So far my main "job" since coming to Cambodia has been language learning. As many of you know, I have frequently requested prayers for my progress with language learning. Well, over the past few weeks I've received some fresh motivation. While my colleague, Cathleen, was away for a previously scheduled trip to the U.S. something came up which required me to take on some extra responsibilities for Children in Families. This involved being a part of a number of meetings conducted primarily in Khmer. Now, after just four months of language classes, I was not under any illusion that I was prepared for this level of language competence - there just was no other option given the nature of the situation. There were a couple of times that I was able to arrange to have a translator, but there were several other times where there wasn't time to arrange for that and I spent a good part of the meeting feeling lost. I would catch enough to have a general idea about what was being discussed, but not enough to have the clarity that I really needed. Language was definitely a barrier for me. I felt blocked out, excluded, unable to engage in situations where I really wanted to have a voice and really needed to understand. In an environment that was already stressful in itself, this barrier was sometimes excruciatingly frustrating.

I've long been a believer in the importance of language learning for effectiveness in missions. My recent experiences did not reveal much that I didn't already know. They did, however make an impact on me experientially. I felt what it was like to be on the outside of a great chasm between me and the message. This not only was a barrier to the message, it was a barrier between me and the messenger. When people are able to speak the same language it becomes a bridge, not a barrier. A common language brings people together, rather than keeping them apart. Oh, how I want this! When I talk to families about what they can do to help and empower their children with disabilities, when I encourage them about the love and courage they are displaying in doing this, and when I have opportunity to share with Cambodians about the wonderful hope that I have in Christ, I want to have a solid bridge by which to deliver those important messages. I want a bridge that puts us on common ground and does not create confusion, frustration, or feelings of alienation. As much as I am anxious to get plugged into the work I came here to do and to start building into these children and families' lives, I am reminded again that this time that has been set aside for language learning is a vital investment. I have a bridge to build. Please continue to pray for God's blessing in that process.

No comments: