Sunday, May 20, 2012

Praying in Tongues

Well....sorta....
Last week one of my Khmer teachers asked me at the beginning of my class if I knew how to pray in Khmer and, when I said that I didn't and that I wanted to learn to pray in Khmer, she taught me a simple prayer. I hadn't posted any clips from my Khmer lessons in a while so I thought it would be fun to post this one.

In the clip she walks me through, filling in words that were new for me. If you wonder about the long pauses where I am repeating the words...really....slowly...it is because I write each word in a phonetic alphabet that I learned at the PILAT language acquisition training I went to in Colorado before I came. So helpful! As you can hear, some of their sounds are a little different from ours!

So here is a translation of the prayer:
Lord Jesus, I thank You for today, that you have blessed me with this very good opportunity to learn Khmer here. Lord, please bless me with strength and wisdom. Help me to remember more. I thank You, Lord, I pray in the name of Jesus Christ.

(Disclaimer: Khmer does not really transfer word for word and I think I got the meaning of all of it but I may not be quite 100%)

Want to hear it? Here's the link:
Learning to Pray

It's really such an appropriate prayer and I appreciate that my teachers recognize, as I do, that I do need the Lord's help for this task.  Please "aht ti tahn" (pray) for me to continue to press on with diligence and in the Lord's strength.

3 comments:

Robin Morton said...

Hey Lisa, At first, I didn't recognize your voice in a different language! I admire you for what you are attempting to do!!

Love ya,
Robin

Lisa Y said...

Hi Robin! Thanks so much - couldn't do it without the Lord's help, that's for sure!

Dave S said...

I agree with Robin (and your post title!) ... I had NO idea that was you! You MUST be in the right place - and be gifted by God exactly for it - because I would have sworn that I was listening to someone from Southeastern Asia! WOW, that is amazing! You go Lisa!!